Monday, July 16, 2012

Muse. Ikkkk.

07.16.12
I've been lucky enough to play in a band since I was 13 years old.  Johnny Kihm and I thought we'd like to jam some ACTUAL music--not just watch it on TV and listen to it on our fancy tape players/CD players anymore.  So, Johnny decided to play bass (probably because there are less strings) and I decided to play drums (probably because there really wasn't a demand for trombone players in a rock/metal band).  We were really listening to Sepultura a lot around that time--but we weren't good enough to play that.  Hell, we might STILL not be good enough to play that.  Anyways, we joined up with a dude named Jeremy Russell, and we played in my basement.  I bought a 200 dollar Ludwig set (with cracked cymbals)--it was sparkly and blue--and we started.

This actually isn't all accurate, because my first time jamming was with Johnny--but it was in his basement.  I used this floating drum set thing (which sounded like crap) and Johnny had a bass.  Eventually, we hooked up with J. Russell. 

However, within a few months, that passed.  Jeremy was a little "non-committal" you could say.  I've known a lot of guitar players--many of them are non-committal.  They don't WANT to stay tied down to one thing for too long.  To be honest, drummers are usually the worst.  Their attention spans usually last as long as the instrument requires--which is about two seconds.  Then, you're on to pounding the hell out of a different cymbal or drum.  You need attention span to set up.  That takes what feels like an eternity.  I feel like I am different in that I stay focused on my tasks.  I don't wanna quit this and join that.  I'm lucky enough to be in two bands right now, both of which I enjoy very much.  But, this is a matter for later.

Anyhow, Deadlock came around when I was around 14.  Johnny and I were in a three-piece band with a guy in our class named Tom Strain.  Tommy was an athlete, and a smart kid.  He was a solid guitarist--though soloing, at that point in his playing career, wasn't his strength.  I sang and played drums.  I'm a pretty good singer, but my voice is not gruff.  I like harmonies, and I don't growl too much.  So, rock isn't always a perfect fit for me.  After a while, like two years and ten recorded songs, Tommy wanted to sing.  Johnny and I didn't like that idea.  We moved on.  So did he.

Next, we joined up with our friends Julian and Andy to form what would become known as Purge Cannister.  This was supposed to be a band of like, 20 people.   We were all gonna switch instruments all of the time.  Just write whatever we wanted.  Instead, we met John Prosenjak, and we instantly became a death metal band.  We setup a show at Amy's Campus 2000, and advertised RELENTLESSLY for weeks on campus.  I was around 17 or 18 then.  We drew about 300 people to our first show, just by word of mouth--creating a buzz.  Within our first two songs, we'd ripped up three bibles, spouted fake blood all over the place, and chased all 300 people out of the bar.  They all went to church the next day, I'm sure.

Julian figured out that death metal bands don't get chicks (something I still have not figured out, apparently) and Andy had other plans, so it was just John, Johnny and I.  We found an advertisement at New York Music in Niles (RIP) and called Jeremy Cibella.  He was 18 and had a Jesus light switch cover in his room.  But man, that kid could PLAY.  So, we jammed once, and DIRTNAP was formed.

Our first show (John, Johnny, Jeremy and myself) was at an AA bar in Girard.  We never got paid, and the cops came.  But 20 or 30 people saw us, and that was the first "KKC" show--though we didn't change our name until a few months later. 

KKC has been playing out since 1998.  We've seen a few changes here and there.  Sometimes, we were in a mode where we'd play five shows a month.  Sometimes, we'd play one show in six months.  It all depended on how we were feeling.  Without question, when I was 19--I was going to be famous.  Music was, for all intents and purposes, my first love.  I even went to YSU (on a full scholarship) to the Dana School of Music.  I stayed in the program for a year before my love of music was stifled.  I did get a minor in music from that time--but once I switched to English, that was it.  I still thought my band might get famous.  But, even then, it was tough.

Now, with the dying of the industry, it's even harder.  People like you and I--we don't always PAY for the music.  Illegal downloading is at an all time high.  Labels (like Roadrunner UK) are shutting down.  People's livelihood is being destroyed.  But nobody wants to buy CDs.  Okay.  I do.  I still by, like, 10 a month.  But that's how you end up with 3000 CDs.  Not everyone wants to do that, or has the means.  So, people have to save money in tough times--and why spend 10 bucks, when you can get it for free.

Near the end of 2010, I got a call from an acquaintance from YSU named BJ Lisko.  BJ was reforming his band, the Turbo Lovers, and he needed a drummer.  He said he wanted to have some fun, and wanted to know if I'd check it out.  While I was worried this might make the guys in KKC question my dedication, I decided to take a chance.

However, things didn't go like that.  Within a few days, BJ had talked to Adam May--our current guitarist and singer--and they wanted to reform a group they had had years ago.  Just for kicks.  And we did.  White Cadillac was born.

WC is a blast for me.  I love playing with both of them, because they're such great players and they KNOW what makes rock.  Like, there's definitely a groove I feel there.  The last WC album, I can listen to it, and be pleased with every track.  This brings me endless joy.  So far, I've been very pleased to play with BJ and Adam--because it's fun and it's rock n roll! That's one side.

KKC is on the other side.  It's my death metal band, and it's with my best friend, Johnny.  We fight and shit because, he's like a brother--and that's what brothers do.  So cliche.  But so true.  However, I know how dedicated he is.  It's a passion for him.  It's a passion for me, too.  I know Johnny's strengths and his weaknesses.  And Jeremy's.  And Ian's, KKC's singer now--who REALLY wants to work hard to take the band to new places.  Fame?  No.  Just make us happier to have more people singing along with our stuff. 

I'm not "settling" with the life I have.  My life makes me EXTREMELY happy.  This is the life I WANT to have.  I don't need bells or whistles.  I've never wanted sex, drugs and rock n roll.  I'm a teacher, with music as a strong interest.  That's what I've been since 2000.  It's what I'll continue to be.

But anyone who really knows me, has never questioned my love or dedication to music.  I've done it since I was two years old.  I could sing before I could talk.  A lot of people sell me short, because I'm a drummer.  But I can read music.  And write it.  I'm not a strong guitar player, but I can write riffs and harmonies as well as the next guy.  I play piano, trombone, drums, baritone, and I sing. 

On the new KKC album, I've written about half the music.  And this new disc is sounding GOOOOOOD. All of those dudes respect what I bring to the table--and they always have.  That's why it's comfortable. 

That's why it feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment